C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OF PEIRCE HOLISM AND OTHER THINGS

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OF PEIRCE HOLISM AND OTHER THINGS Empty OF PEIRCE HOLISM AND OTHER THINGS Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Admin

Admin

CP 7.367. On the theory that the distinction between psychical and physical phenomena is the distinction between final and efficient causation, it is plain enough that the inkstand and the brain-lobe have the same general relation to the functions of the mind. I suppose that if I were to ask a modern psychologist whether he holds that the mind "resides" in the brain, he would pronounce that to be a crude expression; and yet he holds that the protoplasmal content of a brain-cell feels, I suppose: there is every evidence that it does so. This feeling, however, is consciousness. Consciousness, per se, is nothing else: and consciousness, he maintains, is Mind. So that he really does hold that Mind resides in, or is a property of, the brain-matter. The early students of electricity, who assumed that an electrical current resides in the metallic circuit, had infinitely more reason for their mistaken opinion. Yes, without exaggeration, infinitely more; for the ratio of something to nothing is infinite. END

We near the end of this cursory exploration. I claim no authority to interpret Peirce. Nor is this dive that deep. I have a more simple agenda -- to alert folk to Peirce, to alert folk to my broad inference which is Triadic Philosophy, and to maintain the Peirce is as relevant or more relevant to the future than any American philosopher and most European philosophers of the modern era.

I think he is a mind that could have made creative strides next to Bohr and Einstein. I think he lives in heaven but is highly reticent because of the circumstances of his life and the mincemeat people make of his admittedly difficult body of largely unfinished work. I think some of the greatest Peirce interpreters are with him. They understood that holism minus semiosis is laughable and that consciousness without God is incomprehensible. Such comments are a purgative. After which one experiences some ease.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum