C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PIERCE PROMPTS US IN THE DIRECTION OF PRACTICAL SPIRITUALITY

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin

CP 1:599. "The experience of life is continually contributing instances more or less illuminative. These are digested first, not in the man's consciousness, but in the depths of his reasonable being. The results come to consciousness later. But meditation seems to agitate a mass of tendencies and allow them more quickly to settle down so as to be really more conformed to what is fit for the man."

Peirce is noting that we are reflective beings, that we meditate naturally in the course of living, and that we learn constantly by what he says are illuminating instances.

I take instances to mean those moments when we observe things that are of possible use to us. This can be reading something, seeing something, indeed any sense impression.

I would argue that consciousness is never far from this constant practice. The selection and digestion of signs (prompts, semiotic fragments) is a semi-conscious process and there is a clear hierarchy of weight placed on particular senses. But the feeling that consciousness is is not dormant. It is always looking for what will enhance.

I for example woke up this morning with an impulse that led me to a process by which an intention became more and more conscious. That intention has led already to action.

Peirce sees and notes that the purpose of consciousness is essentially to help refine and set in motion things that are fit for us to do.

This could be seen as self-improvement.

Triadic Philosophy adds that there is no improvement of the self that is not an improvement of the personal world beyond the self (the extended family or community) and of the widest of worlds (universality) that is evoked when we say the word "all".

The triadic self is I-We-All".

I know that Peirce walked and I make walking out to be almost a given as a triadic mode of taking intentional, solitary time to go within and reflect and muse and meditate.

It seems to me that the elements in this immediate discussion are the very aspects of inner consciousness.

It all adds up to DIY (do it yourself) Practical Spirituality.

i

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum