C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PEIRCE ON ARISTOTLE'S BREADTH

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PEIRCE ON ARISTOTLE'S BREADTH  Empty PEIRCE ON ARISTOTLE'S BREADTH Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Admin

Admin

CP 1.618 Aristotle was a thorough-paced scientific man such as we see nowadays, except for this, that he ranged over all knowledge. As a man of scientific instinct, he classed metaphysics, in which I doubt not he included logic, as a matter of course, among the sciences -- sciences in our sense, I mean, what he called theoretical sciences -- along with mathematics and natural science -- natural science embracing what we call the physical sciences and the psychical sciences, generally. This theoretical science was for him one thing, animated by one spirit and having knowledge of theory as its ultimate end and aim. Esthetic studies were of a radically different kind; while morals, and all that relates to the conduct of life, formed a third department of intellectual activity, radically foreign in its nature and idea, from both the other two. Now, Gentlemen, it behooves me, at the outset of this course, to confess to you that in this respect I stand before you an Aristotelian and a scientific man, condemning with the whole strength of conviction the Hellenic tendency to mingle philosophy and practice.END

So Aristotle ranged over all knowledge and knowledge clearly includes psychic and ethics and logic and morality and everything science seems to ignore when it is talking about these metaphysical things. Clearly it is the psychics and metaphysical who are to blame. They contend the mind and the brain are not exactly the same. They contend that our bodily cells have some quantum intelligence. They believe that our selves extend beyond our bodies. All these notions are not on the dance cards of the scientific materialists of our day.

For this reason our risks increase. The box we are in seems ever more secure. Global warming cannot be solved by once simple ideas like getting rid of fossil fuels. Health care cannot be improved as long as our for profit, hospital driven system rules the roost. And so forth.

There are days when I think Peirce might be able to live in our environment. But if he is looking for acquaintance with the Aristotle he will not find it, much less acquaintance with him.

Wherewith I spend my time dreaming of ways to crack the hard shell of a world where heaven is deemed powerless to alter history. Little by little though, a way is being found and if you look and listened you will see a holistic sign or two. The best place to look is into our own minds.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum