C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PEIRCE ON PHYSICAL AND PSYCHICAL RESULTS

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PEIRCE ON PHYSICAL AND PSYCHICAL RESULTS Empty PEIRCE ON PHYSICAL AND PSYCHICAL RESULTS Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:13 am

Admin

Admin

CP 1:219. It so happens that I myself believe in the eternal life of the ideas Truth and Right. I need not, however, insist upon that for my present purpose, and have only spoken of them in order to make my meaning clear. What I do insist upon is not now the infinite vitality of those particular ideas, but that every idea has in some measure, in the same sense that those are supposed to have it in unlimited measure, the power to work out physical and psychical results. They have life, generative life. END

I think you will agree that Peirce is an exemplary senior and venerated partner in  this exhumation of his most telling statements. I am sure others have found this as well. We are not in a contest. We merely aim to see the farther reaches of the thought of a philosopher condemned to spend his days in all the agonies the 19th century could dole out.

He gave as good as he got in some respects and now his life and work is being vindicated, celebrated, acknowledged. Not without kicking and screaming from any who thought they had exclusive lease on his soul. Happily heaven is not a realtor. Nor for that matter an academic anxious to make a mark.

Sadly all who have been academic Peirceans have had to suffer one of two fates. Remaining true to the spirit and suffering limited acclaim. I shall not complete this thought.

Truth and right are two ontological elements that are unified in the Light -- that is to say at what Pierce boldly called God. Perhaps even when he declared his thoughts, he knew he would be seen as a theological lightweight. I know what that's about. Welcome to the simplicity of Light.

We take the short end of the world's binary stick and regard it as the essence of power. We do not grouse and moan. We laugh and play. We do not suffer wrong. We know it is nothing.

Truth and Right -- not much of a winner for a fancy lecture that threads the binary needle and weaves something that will allow negation to prevail. In the last analysis, there is no either or. The closest we get is the freedom to say no even in the full face of Truth and Right. And perhaps to be aware you are then saying no to unconditional love.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum