C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thermodynamic nature of the Peircean triad

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Edwina Taborsky

I'd like to introduce this topic because I consider this particular nature of the triad; namely, its thermodynamics, to be a vital aspect of the triad.

That is - if we consider that the essence of both cognitive and biological reality is its capacity for both stability and above all, change, then we have to examine what enables these two seemingly contrary actions. I consider that the triad, plus the three categories, is the basic infrastructure of semiosis.

The triad, which inserts a non-actualized mediation, usually in the mode of 3ns, inserts a process of entropic dissipation of the input from the external Dynamic Object AND also adds generalized informational content to this input data. This additional generalized information was stored in the Receiver and also - some specific information can be inputted from other external Dynamic Objects also interacting with the Receiver.

The additional information content via mediation then results in possibly a very different informational nature, the Interpretant, from the informational nature of the Dynamic Object.

If I take as an example, my viewing a red light, which is mediated by my stored knowledge, to result in an interpretant of STOP. That's the simple action.

But if I read an article about cognition in a journal and another in a different journal, each of which contradicts the other, then, my stored knowledge base might reject both and generate an entirely new analysis of cognition. It's that 'interface', that mediative process, which interests me.

That mediative process, which is made up of stored knowledge, the currently actualized information from the two journals AND my feelings of their interaction - is a powerful generative force. It's made up of 3ns, 2ns and 1ns - all in one mediative site - and enables me to deviate-from-the-norm and come up with a novel idea.

To me - that is the essence of cognitive and yes, biological adaptation. And - it's basic Peirce.

Admin

Admin

Interesting. I think you are talking about what I mean are binaries -- your two opposed articles -- any other opposition. Binary thinking will say choose one over the other. Triadic thinking says that they are a binary and that both need to be mediated by 2 and 3 of the triad. In my thinking that would be Ethics (good involved) and Aesthetics (Truth and Beauty fused). There are many ways to go. But we are definitely in the liberation zone once we escape the dyad, the binary, the straight conflict. Most thought is pure binary and most media and culture is awash in it.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Admin

Admin

BTW congrats on getting a topic established. Once that is done one can use the quick reply option and easily place a response.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum