C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

C. S. PEIRCE ON WHERE FEELING MAY RESIDE WITHIN US

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin

CP 1.333. "As for pleasure and pain, which Kant and others have represented to be of the essence of feeling, whether it be merely because they and the section of the psychological world for which at this moment I have the presumption to speak apply the word feeling to different modifications of awareness, or whether there be a faulty analysis on the one part or the other, we certainly do not think that unadulterated feeling, if that element could be isolated, would have any relation to pain or to pleasure. For in our opinion if there be any quality of feeling common to all pleasurable experiences or components of experience, and another one quality of feeling common to all that is painful (which we are inclined to doubt, to say the least), then we hold the opinion that the one is the feeling of being attracted, the other that of being repelled, by the present state of experience. If there be two such feelings, they are feelings of states of volition. But perhaps pleasure and pain are nothing more than names for the state of being attracted and that of being repelled by present experience. Of course, feelings accompany them, but under the latter hypothesis no feeling would be common to all pleasures, and none to all pains. If we are right, the position of the hedonists is preposterous, in that they make mere feelings to be active agencies, instead of being merely conscious indications of real determinations of our subconscious volitional beings. [I may mention that their talk (however it may be with their thought) is further preposterous as seeming to make pain a mere privation of pleasure, although it is plain that it is pain that indicates an active, and pleasure only a passive, determination of our volitional being.]
Peirce: CP 1.334 Cross-Ref:††

I was perplexed by this passage, for I already have assumed that Peirce regards feeling to be the very currency of consciousness. Feelings in Triadic Philosophy are not "mere". They are the active stuff of consciousness. He is of course right to say that there are many feelings that can be associated with pleasure and pain.

Feelings are a processing of thought. They are not our mind occupied with this  or that save as a prelude to a feeling that registers within us and beyond.

Feelings ink to the greater part of who we are.

Triadic Philosophy does not acknowledge a subconscious as other than the is-ness of ourselves which can be both affirmed and changed by the  quality of our feelings.

If I am prepared to heal myself of this or that condition I will focus on it and actively intend that it be changed. This will involve a thought -- I want this discomfort to be gone. It will also involve an intention that rises from my heart and the lower parts of me that have to do with creating, evolving and intending. This is a unified response that is emotional and physical. It involves awareness of body and the importance of full engagement. It centers on emotion. It broadcasts itself in an affirmation of a few words that are generally telepathic or said emphatically to oneself.

Consciousness as the center of all communication. Communication is the essence of feelings. It affirms we are I, We and All. This is our universality, the truth of our soul-hood.

I see no problem with the general terms pleasure and pain as terms of a spectrum of feelings.

Triadic Philosophy understands the primacy of unconditional love as the central feeling within us with which we encounter truth and beauty and the infinite satisfaction of ultimate reasonability.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum