C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
C. S. Peirce: Prophet of the Future

C. S. Peirce created a platform of thought that undergirds the future we are presently watching unfold. Triadic, Semiotic, and post-Postmodern. Build it here.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PEIRCE SUGGESTS CONSCIOUSNESS IS FLEXIBLE

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin

CP 1.304: "I can imagine a consciousness whose whole life, alike when wide awake and when drowsy or dreaming, should consist in nothing at all but a violet color or a stink of rotten cabbage. It is purely a question of what I can imagine and not of what psychological laws permit. The fact that I can imagine this, shows that such a feeling is not general, in the sense in which the law of gravitation is general. For nobody can imagine that law to have any being of any kind if it were impossible that there should exist any two masses of matter, or if there were no such things as motion. A true general cannot have any being unless there is to be some prospect of its sometime having occasion to be embodied in a fact, which is itself not a law or anything like a law. A quality of feeling can be imagined to be without any occurrence, as it seems to me. Its mere may-being gets along without any realization at all."

Peirce is a little like the deity who regards creation in Genesis and pronounces that he is well-pleased. Consciousness is given a wide berth and includes speculations minus conclusions. Triadic Philosophy accepts this latitude but argues for direction to be exercised. Specifically it argues that because we spend most of our time freely deciding what we shall do from making a keystroke to considering a life-choice, it benefits us to see ourselves as philosophers, conscious thinkers who apply universal standards to our thinking process.

These are ethical and aesthetic standards. They caution us to act with tolerance, to be inclined to help ourselves and others, and to honor the dignity and rights of all persons. They suggest that beauty and truth are one thing and to be seen as indivisible when arriving at a statement or tangible action.

One could see this as being mindful.

https://peirce-and-us.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum